Leagues and Tournaments
The 2016/17 season saw a great deal of success for the club on the courts of Rutland, Leicestershire, Peterborough and Huntingdonshire.
With 68 fixtures to fit in, it was certainly a busy one!
The four Hunts & Peterborough sides fought hard to maintain their divisional status, with the Mixed team and ladies achieving promotion to Division 1. The Mens 6 side could have achieved the same for the first time ever with two matches to go, but a tight fought loss away at Pearl 4-5, and a home defeat to the same opposition scuppered their chances, but a good season none-the-less.
In the Rutland & Stamford Leagues both Mixed and Mens played well to finish comfortably mid table!
Well done to everyone that took part, captained and supported those teams.
Team captains are responsible for putting out full teams for each of their matches. After each match they will need to give a duplicate score sheet and match fees to the Treasurer.
- Check that all the team are available to play at least 2 weeks in advance of each match, and have reserves on standby where necessary
- Collect match fees and pass on to Treasurer regularly
- If you cannot play you are still responsible for the team and all the arrangements, and must appoint a reliable deputy to collect fees and look after the team
- Away matches – make travelling arrangements and make sure ALL the team have directions and will arrive promptly
- Home matches – organise refreshments and make sure YOU are early to welcome the visiting team. Arrange well in advance to collect shuttles from for the match.
- Score sheets / results should be returned to Club Secretary within 7 days (max) of the match whether your team wins or loses.
- Try to engender a team atmosphere and encourage a competitive feeling and loyalty
- Watch team members play and be prepared to make constructive comments on play and pairings to the selection committee
- If you feel you need a team practice, or some team coaching, organise this with the committee, and ensure any team members are present. There are coaches and very experienced players in the club willing to give help and advice as needed.
- Make sure you know who is your team Captain.
- Check on the dates of all your matches and put them in your diary – please try to make yourself available for them all.
- If you are not available for any matches please let your Captain know in plenty of time.
- Arrive at matches on time – especially home matches and be prepared to welcome visiting players.
- Check travel arrangements to arrive in time for away matches.
- Ask for coaching / team practice if this will help.