Author Archives: Peter Atkinson

  • Fixtures for 2017/18

    The Hunts & Peterborough fixtures are now live on the ‘Fixtures‘ tab, along with the Rutland & Stamford fixtures that are currently arranged. There are still a few to go yet!

  • Congratulations to Will and Zoe

    I hope that you will all join the club in wishing one of it’s members, Will, huge congratulations on his marriage to Zoe.

    Will Wedding

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

    Congratulations and Good Luck! No idea about the sheep……

  • Uppingham Hill BC Club Constitution

    Following this years AGM, an updated copy of the Club Constitution is now available to download from the RESOURCES page on the website! After 20 years, we now all know what we are doing!!

  • AGM Minutes and Updates

    Minutes for Uppingham Hill Badminton Club AGM

    Held Tuesday 10th May, Don Paddy’s Uppingham

    Present

    Chair:                    Mike Webster

    Minute Taker:    Peter Atkinson

    Attendees:         Pam, Jack, John, Anthony, Clinton, Rosie, Eleanor, Irene, Scott

    All notes were distributed.

    Apologies were received from: S Bryers, G Crowson, W Chen, C Webster, M Stevens.

    Meeting commenced at 7.44pm

    Welcome by Chairman

    Mike Webster opened the meeting and welcomed all attending commenting on his disappointment on the low turnout for the AGM this year.

    Minutes from previous meeting

    These were approved and signed after being read through by the group.

    Matters arising

    Clinton’s proposal for a new tournament format was not trialled in 2016/17 as had been agreed at the previous AGM (AOB Point d), and it was agreed to look again at this for the forthcoming season, suggesting that this could be an additional tournament night half way through the season.

    Chairman’s Comments/Report

    Mike Webster thanked the club officers for their work during the season, and the club membership as a whole for their support during the year and in matches. Mike also thanked Mark for helping plan and organise the end of season handicap competition and to Peter and the Grainstore for again hosting and subsidising the end of season party.The Chair noted the ‘ups and downs’ of the season, and stressed the teething troubles, but felt that lessons were learnt as the season continued with members thoughts listened to and changes made throughout the season.

    ‘Lows’ being the demise of the Ladies team and ‘Highs’ the amount of new members, generally well attended club nights and a fantastic turn out for the end of season tournament with a record entry, with a healthy balance struck between experienced and less experienced players giving all a chance to shine.

    Peter thanked Mike for his efforts throughout the year.

    Treasurer’s Report

    Jack talked us through the balance sheet, which was well received by all and an overview of the accounts leaves UHBC in a healthy position for the start of next season

    Jack mentioned that shuttle expenditure was down for the year as a result of less matches being played throughout the season.

    It was noted that 30 members had elected to pay their full years fees up front.

    It was proposed that fees should remain the same as this year for the following season ( proposed by Peter and seconded by Pam), which was passed and adopted.

    It was Proposed that 1st time visitors should still receive their first visit for free and that visitor and match fees remain the same by Jack and seconded by John – this was passed.

    Captains Report

    Ladies

    Not available as the team had been withdrawn half way through the season.

    Clinton – Mixed

    Summed up the team’s entries this year and thanked all those that took part in matches.

    In the Rutland & Stamford League the team won most of their home matches but struggled with the games against Mars and Pearl, and overall finished 4th out of 6.

    Hunts & P’Boro League the team performed exceptionally well during the season, and despite unforeseen challenges managed a creditable 2nd in Division 2. Special thanks went to Pam and Peter for holding the challenge together and turning in performances with their backs against the wall.

    Mike thanked Clinton

    Anthony – Men’s

    Both Men’s teams had their ups and downs, but overall the performances were good. A difficult start to the season with experimental pairings settled down but the usual struggle away from home continued, particularly towards the end of the season.

    Rutland & Stamford side did well to finish 3rd and the Hunts & P’Boro team held onto their divisional status, but couldn’t muster a challenge for promotion.

    Mike thanked Anthony

     

    Drinks & Food Break at 8.40pm

     

    AGM recommenced at 8.50pm

    2016/17 teams and leagues

    A long debate was entered into with regards to the number of teams entered into the various leagues for the past season, with some feeling that it did not allow for sufficient players to have regular match play.

    It was proposed by Peter and seconded by Pam that the Mixed teams remain at 2 entries.

    After a discussion surrounding the possibility of re-entering the Men’s 4 team into the Hunts & P’Boro league, a proposal was made by Anthony and seconded by Peter to enter the existing two Men’s 6 teams and the Men’s 4. With a vote of 7 for and 4 abstentions the proposal was passed.

    Discussion turned to the Ladies team and the current availability of Ladies who wished to play in a team, with Scott suggesting that the current crop of ladies, and those that were only present during the first half of the season be consulted via email, over the summer, to see if there is an appetite to support and for entering a Ladies team in 2017/18 and the requirement for a team captain. The resulting vote was passed by 11 – 0.

    Election of officers

    As usual all officers withdrew from their roles.

    Chair – Mike declined to stand for a further year due to significant work pressures– no one was proposed, so it was agreed to seek a member for the role over the summer break.

    Treasurer – Jack expressed that he would be prepared to stand again – this was proposed by Scott and seconded by Clinton and passed 11-0 at the resultant vote.

    Match Secretary –  Scott stated that he would not be able provide this role again for the coming season and no one stood for the role. It was suggested that the captains fulfil this role and have a representative attend the league fixture meetings, this was agreed.

    Captains – Clinton affirmed that he would not re stand for the role of Mixed Captain, although he would be prepared to help out a new candidate once he has cleared his own thoughts on where he will play Mixed badminton next season  – no one stood for the role.

    Antony was prepared to stand again. This was proposed by John Husk and seconded by Peter, with the resultant vote being passed by 11-0

    Peter pointed out that with no Chair or Mixed Captain, who would be responsible for communications over the summer break. A deadline of July 31st was proposed to resolve these matters, with the possibility of an Extraordinary General Meeting shortly thereafter if there was no resolution. This was voted upon and passed 11-0. (please see post AGM note)

    UHBC Constitution

    The original constitution was found and presented, with some proposed discussion points and possible changes. Particular debate was centred upon allowing non full paying members to participate in matches.

    It was proposed that the constitution be changed to allow such players to participate in matches, ONLY as a last resort should every other avenue been exhausted and that no other full member be available to play. This was passed 11-0.

    It was also proposed that with the lack of a Secretary and League Secretary that team Captains be added as club officers – again this was passed 11-0.

    It was noted that the Club Accounts are not independently verified before each AGM, and it was discussed whether this article be removed from the constitution. Peter felt that there should some control over this, and therefore proposed that it was sufficient for a further member of the club to verify these each season rather than appointing and paying for an external auditor. This was passed 11-0

    It was noted that the clubs bank account now only required one signatory and a discussion around whether this was deemed sufficient. This idea was debated and rejected, so the constitutional point 7.2.2 should stand. Action – Jack to arrange with the bank for two signatories.

    Action- Mike to update the constitution as per the agreed changes and publish on the club website

    Socials and Awards

    The upcoming end of season social was again reconfirmed. It was noted that the Cricket match arrange for summer 2015 once again didn’t take place due to the weather this time around and that the club would once again try to arrange this for the forthcoming year.

    ‘Players Player of the Year’ – for the first time, this was a two way tie, with both Jack and Eleanor in first place. Mike awarded each with a small gift and a certificate.

    ‘Most Improved Player’ elected by the club officers was unanimously awarded to Eleanor.

    AOB

    Clinton thanked Mike for his efforts throughout the season

    The meeting was brought to a close at 10.30pm

     

    *Post AGM Notes: Further to the AGM, Peter consulted Mike and offered to stand as Chairman for the forthcoming season. Mike circulated an email to the club, and with no one opposing or standing against, Peter has now assumed the role of Chairman.

    **Sian has offered to consult with the ladies regarding the possibility of a team once again, and this looks positive so far.

    ***Sian has also offered to take the role of Mixed Captain.

     

     

  • March v Uppingham, H&P Mixed Division 2

    A fun night was had despite the long trek to March, a slightly dark hall and the joy of the plastic shuttles!

    Unfortunatly due to a mix up with the March fixture list, the very amiable opposition turned out a weakened team to face the best we could muster. This lead to a lopsided affair and a relatively easy 9 – 0 win to Uppingham. That said, the March pairings put up a good fight and entered into the spirit of the match to make our pairings work for their points.

    A good way to ‘ease’ into the new season with a win, a very friendly and positive opposition, a liberal sprinkling of Bourbon biscuits and a rmoured KFC on the way home…

    Well played all, onwards and upwards.

  • Essentials Badminton

    A Message from Kevin Barron..please get the word out to anyone who might want to participate. It is amazing value and includes a FREE Racket!

    Hi all,

    Attached it a poster for an Essentials badminton course starting on Thursday 18th June at Thomas Deacon Academy in Peterbourgh.

    This course is aimed at beginners and people coming back to badminton after a break.
    It is fantastic value at only £20 for 8 weeks including a free racket!

    Please forward this to anyone you think might be interested, if you are able to put one up on a work notice board or anywhere public please do.

    We have less than 2 weeks before the course starts and we really want to get more people playing badminton.

    Many thanks
    Kevin

    Peterborough Essentials June 2015

  • Lost Property

    Mark Burberry has taken a phone call from the sports centre advising that they have been contacted by The Star Inn in Thrussington. They have found a pink plastic wallet containing some information tracing the owner back to the club.
    Obviously they will have a better idea of the contents of the wallet, and will not release any information other than it’s colour and what the item is.
    If this sounds like yours, and you are missing a pink plastic wallet, then please contact the Star at Thrussington on 01664 424 220 as soon as possible. Have a meal whilst you are there, it’s good!
    Thank you.
  • The Ellie McAusland Handicap Trophy 2015

    As we approach the end of the season I’m delighted to advise you that Uppingham Hill Badminton Club will running our handicap tournament for the 3rd year on Tuesday 28th April, our final night of the season. Last year we had 23 players, using all courts with Alan Green and Jack Smalley running out eventual winners. Mike Webster and myself will be facilitating this again this year with the aim being that as many people as possible get to play as much badminton as possible on the night.
    For those new (or with short memories) everyone who enters gets a handicap with the view to leveling all players regardless of ability. The range last year was from -3 to +12 which in a 1 off game to 21 gives everyone a chance. We will aim for groups of 4 again so that everyone has the opportunity to play 3 games with a different partner each game, with the group winner and runner up qualifying for the knock-out phase. Once we reach this stage then pairs will be established right through to the final. The final results from last year’s tournament are available in all their glory on the website CLICK HERE. Invitations are extended to both members and regular visitors, the more we have the better.
    We are looking to repeat the good fun had from the last 2 years which will hopefully result in 2 new winners. The handicapping and draw will be completed by 20th April, so could we please have all entrants by the club night of Tuesday 21st April. Please register your interest by completing the  sheet on the notice board at club.
    Any queries please give myself or Mike Webster a nudge over the next few weeks.
    Regards
    Mark Burberry

  • A Tickle Down To Fine Leg!

    Spring looks as if it is finally trying to spring from the clutches of winter which means that the badminton season will soon be over to be replaced by the sound of the thwack or leather against willow as the cricket season gets underway. As you maybe aware we have been liaising with those good people at Uppingham Town Cricket Club to get a Friday night friendly fixture arranged. I can now confirm that we be able to demonstrate our sporting versatility with Friday 8th May now scheduled in the cricketing calendar.

    The evening will start at 6:15 and we would like to see as many boys and girls as possible playing for our badminton club. I’ve checked with the Met Office and the evening temperatures are going to be early 20’s, clear blue skies with a warm southerly to provide us with perfect playing conditions. The cricket club will make sure the bar is open for us so that we can maintain a healthy re-hyration regime and have also confirmed that they will also put on a barbecue for us with produce supplied locally by Nelson’s and Baines’.

    Cricket prowess or previous experience is not required, just a willingness to turn up an have a good time.This is a pure social event which happens to be based around cricket. These games are 100% social, are usually good fun and very often close encounters.
    Out of respect for the cricket club we need a minimum of 11. If we have more then we will be able to have substitutes so that everyone gets their chance to shine!

    Could you please ping me an email or sign up on the noticeboard at club to let me know that you’d like to play. Once we have sufficient numbers we will confirm the detail nearer the time

    Spectators from the club would be very much appreciated and most welcomed so spread the word and let’s look to make it a great evening. Even if we have more than 11 volunteers we will find a way to get everyone involved.

    I’ve agreed with the cricket club that for £5 each player/spectator will be able to claim some food from the barbecue plus their 1st drink beer/cider/wine/babycham (Sherman). Peter Atkinson has generously offered a keg of his finest Grainstore brew which will be available for us to sample and to quench thirsts.
    Thank you all and I look forward to confirming details nearer the time.
    Mark

  • Welcome to 2015!

    Happy New Year to one and all.

    Welcome back to club nights and matches galore! With the first term now over the club is in a healthy position, with lots of members rejoining this year and plenty of visitors swelling the ranks.

    Welcome to you all.

    On the match courts of Rutland, Melton and Cambridgeshire, there have, as usual been many highs and many lows. Wins have been hard to come by in the Mixed format in particular. The Ladies have made their first foray into Division One of the Hunts and Peterborough League, and fought admirably against tough opponents, and the Men’s sides have fought hard to remain in with a chance of winning their Divisions in the Hunts and Peterborough Leagues in particular.

    Best of luck to all the teams and Captains as we head into term two. Please support them and make yourselves available for matches if at all possible.

    A gentle reminder goes out to those that have elected to pay their subs each term, to please ensure that Mark Burberry has received your second terms payment by the end of January.

    On the social front there are a number of events approaching that need your support also please.

    Firstly the now annual end of season Tournament will approach quickly. Last years winners of the Ellie McAusland Trophy are waiting to defend their crowns. As the months rattle by, we will be asking for your support and entries for this fun night, which has proved very popular each year.

    Shortly after, we would like to arrange the end of season social. We will circulate a date for this nearer the time, but it would be really nice to see more attendees this year. No pressure, just a fun night out.

    Lastly, having been challenged by our near neighbours, Uppingham Town Cricket Club to a fun and (ahem..!) friendly match, it was disappointing to that we were unable to arrange it last year. Both clubs would like to see this happen in the coming year, and to that end, the cricket club have offered us a date of Friday 8th May to consider. Mark Burberry has offered to coordinate the event from our end, so please let him know asap if you are interested in playing. It’s open to all members, Men, Ladies, young and old, so why not have a fun night out. They have a superb new club house and bar, so expect the evening to be a little less serious than the Ashes!

    The club AGM usually takes place at Don Paddy’s in Uppingham, the first Tuesday after the end of the season. This is likely to therefore be held on Tuesday 5th May from 7.30pm. Again, this will be confirmed later in the season. Please make every effort to attend. As anyone who does attend will testify, there is always healthy debate about the running of your club by the members and it is a great forum to introduce new ideas that may take the club forwards. The club committee is only there to make sure the club keeps going. It is you, the members, that make the decisions by voting at the AGM. If you don’t attend, it’s hard to vote!

    Finally, please join me in wishing the best of luck to long time member Sherman Finnemore and his wife Kate, on the very imminent, in fact somewhat overdue, safe arrival of their third child. We will all miss you Sherman in the coming months, but you will understandably have your hands full!

    Most of all have a fun filled second term.

    Peter